Provide a brief history of your church. Typical church histories range from one to four paragraphs in length. Paragraphs should be divided into clear chapters/eras of the church’s history.
X Community Church began as a doctoral project of X, a graduate student at Columbia University. The first congregational meeting was held on February 27, 1947, and from this meeting, our church was born. X agreed to serve as the interim minister until June, and the first service was held on March 2, 1947. In spite of a major snowstorm, 226 people showed up.
In September 1947, Reverend X was called as the church’s first full-time minister. Under his leadership, Sunday school classes were held at the X. Within two years, the congregation had grown to more than 300 members from 34 different denominations. Concerned that a particular doctrine would destroy the fellowship and service of the church, the congregation chose not to join a denomination.
In March 1950, on the third anniversary of the formation of the church, ground was broken for the new building. Impressive ground-breaking ceremonies were attended by more than 100 members and guests. The ceremonies were held at the new church site. This would be the first church to be built in this rapidly-growing lake community. On Easter Sunday, March 25, 1951, the first worship service was held in the newly-constructed building in which the congregation of 520 worshipped for the first time.
In 1972, X Community Church became affiliated with the United Church of Christ and remains a UCC church to this day. In 2016, the church voted to become an Open and Affirming congregation. Throughout the years the church has been blessed with many gifted and dedicated ministers who have continued the ministry of the congregation, expanding it to other neighboring communities.